Zoning Administrator

Name Phone
emailShelly Stiles (802) 442-4038 ext. 5

Zoning Administrator

The Zoning Administrator has no discretion in interpreting and applying Shaftsbury's zoning bylaws. He or she educates the general public and other officials about the zoning regulations and assists applicants through the review process. The Zoning Administrative Officer must either approve or deny an application for a zoning permit within the 30-day period prescribed by law. Failure to do so will result in an automatic "deemed" approval of the permit on the 31st day after receipt of the application.

The Zoning Administrator shall administer the Shaftsbury Zoning Bylaws literally, and, as noted above, does not have the power to permit any land development that is not in conformance with the town's bylaws. He or she is responsible for enforcement of all rules and regulations pertaining to the zoning ordinance.

If the Zoning Administrator denies a request for a zoning permit, he or she must advise the applicant of that individual's right to appeal the action or decision to the zoning board of adjustment.

The Zoning Administrator is required to provide written warning notice to any person suspected of an alleged violation of any bylaw after it has been adopted pursuant to Chapter 117 of Title 24. The notice must be sent by certified mail and must advise the alleged offender of several things:

  • The nature of the violation (referencing the specific provisions of the bylaws is helpful).
  • That he or she has seven days in which to "cure" the violation.
  • That he or she is not entitled to any additional warning notice for a violation occurring after the seven days.
  • That he or she has a right to appeal the notice of violation to the zoning board of adjustment.

As enforcement officer of the municipal zoning laws, the administrative officer is empowered to initiate appropriate legal action in the name of the municipality against those who violate any of the town's municipal bylaws. Such authority includes submitting an application for a mandatory injunction to the superior court for the county in which the violation is occurring or will occur.

Zoning Documents

View Elected Town Officers

Zoning Office Hours at Cole Hall

Monday - Tuesday - Wednesday
9:00am - 12:00pm
Phone: (802) 442-4038 ext. 5

Do I need a permit for a pond?

Yes, however, a pond must be approved by the Development Review Board at a warned meeting. You will also be asked to have the District Conservationist inspect the area and make recommendations relative to the pond inlets and outlets, and ponds greater than 3000 square feet require State approval.

read more View more Zoning related FAQs.

Important Announcements

from Cole Hall.

Community Appropriations Application Organizations requesting to appear on the ballot

more info

Organics Collection - Now at the Transfer Station

more info

Southshire Community Solar has announced a planned Phase II expansion of the Buck Hill project.

more info

Have You Found A Lost Dog?
Find the Dog's Owner.

Search Dog Tag Database