Shaftsbury Town Clerk

Name PhoneTerm Ends
emailMarlene Barriere (802) 442-4038 ext. 13 year term exp. in 2018

Town Clerk

Monday 9:00am-2:00pm
Monday 5:00pm-7:00pm
Tues.,Wed.,Thurs. 9:00am-3:30pm
Friday by appointment only
(802) 442-4038 ext. 1

The Town Clerk plays a central role in the operation of local government, with duties that bring the Clerk into regular contact with the public. The Clerk's statutory duties range from recording, preserving and certifying public documents to administering oaths of office, complying with public information requests, posting notices on the town's bulletin board, running the local elections, certifying the grand list prepared by the listers, issuing marriage licenses and licensing animals. The town clerk has many unofficial duties as well which vary from town to town.

Below are some of the duties of the Town Clerk

  • Notarizes documents
  • Records all vital events occurring in the town of Shaftsbury
  • Administers the Freeman's Oath
  • Records deeds, mortgages, liens, surveys and minutes of meetings
  • Genealogy assistance
  • Voter checklist maintenance
  • Member of the Board of Abatement
  • Takes minutes and prepares the Board of Abatement findings

  • Administers and records oaths of office for newly elected officials
  • Administration and presiding officer over all elections
  • Clerk for the Board of Civil Authority
  • Issues Green Mountain Passports
  • Records certified copies of military DD 214 discharge papers for military personnel
  • Types and records final results of elections

Justices who perform Ceremonies


In order to be eligible to vote in the Town of Shaftsbury you must be on the Town Voter Checklist. The Town Clerk has blank voter checklist applications at the office and will be available during office hours to register new applicants. You may also print an application off our website. Please stop in and make sure you are registered to vote. If you have any questions about voting, please call 442-4038.


We have placed our vitals database for Shaftsbury on this page! This includes all vital records from 1761 to 1900. Click on the link below to access these records.

GENEOLOGY REQUESTS: We also accept requests for research but are able to do research only as time allows. There is a charge for this service and a return self-addressed stamped envelope is appreciated when writing a request.

E-mail your request using this page or Mail your request to the Town Clerk at;

Shaftbury Town Clerk
61 Buck Hill Road
Shaftsbury, VT 05262


We are happy to help you find genealogy records, but we are limited at the Town Office to people who were born or died in town. For more complete state records, you can contact the organizations below.

The Bennington Museum Library is open Monday – Wednesday from 1-5 pm
Offers Vital Records on microfilm up to the year 1941. They also offer newspapers on microfilm, The Vermont Gazette starting in 1783 and the Banner starting in 1841. 20th Century Banners may be found at the Bennington Free Library. Call the Museum Library at 802-447-1574 x 210

The Vermont State Archives – 1078 Route 2, Middlesex, Vermont
Offers all Vital Records in Vermont from 1760 – 2011. When visiting in person, you can visit at no cost. You may also visit (records 1760-2003) from your own computer. Visit or call 802-828-3700 for more information.

Town Clerk's Documents

View Appointed Officers and Committeess
view all town officials and committee members

license your dog

Dog Licenses

All dogs more than 6 months of age need to be licensed in the town of Shaftsbury after January 1st of every year. They need to be licensed no later than April 1st.
Please click here to search registrations.

Contact the Town Clerk

Who can marry or perform a civil union for us?

A judge, supreme court justice, assistant judge, justice of the peace, or an ordained or licensed minister, rabbi or priest residing in Vermont can perform your ceremony. A priest, rabbi, minister or person from another state can perform your ceremony if he or she first obtains a special authorization from the probate court in the district where the marriage will take place. Vermont law does not require witnesses. If you are planning a religious ceremony, check with your church or synagogue to see if religious tenets require witnesses for your marriage or union. If you would like the names of our JP's please click Departments on our home page and then click on Justice of the Peace for names and numbers.

read more View more Town Clerk related FAQs.

Important Announcements

from Cole Hall.

Community Appropriations Application Organizations requesting to appear on the ballot

more info

Organics Collection - Now at the Transfer Station

more info

Southshire Community Solar has announced a planned Phase II expansion of the Buck Hill project.

more info

Have You Found A Lost Dog?
Find the Dog's Owner.

Search Dog Tag Database